Friday, July 31, 2015

I FUCKING LOVE FISH TACOS (Seven Lives Tacos y Mariscos, Toronto)



GET EXCITED BECAUSE IT'S PAST MIDNIGHT AND I'M HERE TO WRITE ABOUT FISH TACOS 







Friends that taco together... talk-ohhhhh together ??




There are a few salsas by the pick up area where you can customize your tacos and fresh lime wedges because it's not taco time until you have a mountain of used lime wedges.

From the menu we ordered almost one of everything. Between the three of us sharing, we were quite full and mostly thankful we actually snagged a window-side counter space (where we had to stand) but it was so worth it. I'm usually opposed to standing in line but if it's fish tacos in Kensington Market, then I can vouch for deliciousness.



We decided to treat ourselves with some drinks! On the left is a Mexican Guava soda ($2), and on the right is agua fresca ($2) in hibiscus which was delicious. Eventually we all drank out of two straws. 


Now moving onto the food, there wasn't a single menu item I disliked. I could eat these all day everyday for the rest of my physical existence. There's no surprise that on busy days, they can sell out really easily. This also allows the food they sue to be as fresh as possible. Nothing stays in the store for more than a couple days. ALSO you know it's real when they double-shell the tortillas. That's a fact. 

NOW WHERE DO I BEGIN




Shrimp ceviche tostada ($7)! A bit of a hassle to eat (do you pick it up? do you use a fork? none of us knew) but the onions were balanced by the guac well and I would eat about five more of these in one sitting. If I'm dead by the end of this post, I have drowned in my own drool.




TACO TIME

We got five tacos in total for three of us, and although it doesn't seem like a lot, we were stuffed by the end of it. These tacos don't mess around. 












TRAY #1


Top: Baja fish ($5): battered and fried mahi mahi with cream sauce and slaw. This is quite plain on it's own, but perfect to go with the many sauces and a squeeze of lime juice. 

Bottom: Gobernador ($5): smoked marlin, shrimp, cheese. No, I still don't know how to pronounce this. If only it was as easy to pronounce as it was to eat.  






TRAY #2


Left: Carnitas ($4): slow cooked pork. Classically delicious.

Middle: Blackened Mahi Mahi ($5): grilled with dry rub of spices. This one has great flavor and was a group favourite. I would definitely re-purchase this one and try others.

Right: Camarones a la diabla ($5): spicy shrimp with cheese. not as spicy or as cheesy, but the freshest tasting shrimp I've had in a while. After eating so much mediocre shrimp, it's easy to forget how strong its flavor can be.




I'm not going to lie, this is the first time I tried to distinguish what each taco was. While we were eating, it was a matter of shoveling food into our mouths because it was so delicious. We didn't talk for a good fifteen mintues because we were so entranced by the food.

For the price breakdown,
Tacos: $24
Tostada: $7
Drinks: $4

It comes out to about $40 for the three of us which is a bit more than $13 per person. We over-ordered a bit so we can try all the menu items we wanted to, but every bite of this food is worth it. Seven Lives in cooking up some serious happiness in my fav little market. I'm seriously debating if I should make a trip downtown exclusively for Seven Lives tacos again.

No comments:

Post a Comment