Sunday, July 20, 2014

On occasion I'll remember 01

Volunteering is something introduced to the majority of pre-adolescents by eighth grade curriculum, and then re-introduced in secondary school for our ever-coveted forty hour minimum of volunteering to graduate. For myself, I got involved with an organization (this sounds a lot like I joined a gang. A gardening gang. Garden Squad 2k14) previously known as the Mississauga Garden Council, but currently known as The Riverwood Conservancy and for five years, it has served as the best summer home. During the peak of my involvement, I would spend six hours a day there for five days a week in whatever weather possible. I would never give up a single day of it. If anything, I wanted to be there more. 

 




Notable memories include the Grapevine Thunderstorm where we decided the deep rumbling in the stormy sky was simply the passing of the train...until the torrential downpour that soaked us to the bone in about five minutes. The afternoon was followed by "dusting" the basement and the best game of basement frisbee to ever occur. 

During the end of summer festivities that year, activities included rolley-chair races around the room, and battle rock paper scissors inspired by the manga serious "Gintama". The volunteer leader that year (Michelle!) introduced me to some very cool series including MuShiShi and also Gintama. In the manga, they played some variation of rock paper scissors where the loser was to defend themselves from the winner who was to strike them with some sort of weapon. This added dimension of violence was the turning point where TRC staff said we couldn't hold our summer-end festivities in the main meeting room anymore! What an iconic summer.

That was also the year that during an afternoon shift of ever-dreaded (but still fun) cyclist surveying, myself and another regular volunteer decided to have some sort of...adventure break. We discovered a secluded mini rock beach along the river after following a path quite deep into the forest. Pics or it never happened, obviously. 

Someone who I frequently saw while volunteering over the years was a charming guy named Kasper. 


I volunteered at Riverwood during such an awkward, transitional period of my life that I like to think I formed the majority of my identity here. This place is very much a reflection of who I am; groomed gardens, rushing river, diverse ecosystem, rugged trails, and the occasional toxic plant to ward off unwanted wanderers. A good part of any self-confidence in myself comes from all the people walking their dogs that I've mustered the courage to ask if I could pet their dogs. 

I was recently awarded with an Ontario Volunteer Service Award for five years of service with The Riverwood Conservancy. Needless to say I was greatly humbled that I was awarded for rolling around in dirt, laughing with new friends, petting peoples' dogs, dancing in the rain and playing very, very loud games of cards in the excessively-air conditioned basement. 

Hey mom!

This is the kind of post I want to look back on in a few years time; possibly on another rainy Sunday where reminiscence is something unavoidable I hope future me wants to high five present me for all the weird little things she has done. Finding somewhere that I love to volunteer is truly the ultimate gateway drug into the rest of my life. 


PART TWO COMING SOON. 




No comments:

Post a Comment