Friday, October 11, 2013

Baking for bake sales

High school bake sales are probably one of the easiest events to possibly bake for because as many of us know; high school students will eat anything. Back when I was a lot less baking-savey, my favourite item to being in were cake-mix cookies; simple to make, cheap to buy and super well-received at school. Plus they could be decorated and no one in my school had ever tried anything like them. Oh the confusion on their faces makes it all worth it.

Recently, my student outreach club raised funds to donate to The Inside Ride, with "Inside Eats!" TIR were also hosting an event at our school. Their organization raises funds for families with children with cancer through indoor-cycling comepetions. Whether it's school-wide, workplace-wide, or community-wide; the event is a lot of fun (very sweaty) and for a great cause.

Poster design by J. Le

Side note: My team, The Monochromes got a special mention for team spirit.

I decided to go with my "looks like one dessert, tastes like another" route and made brownies in cupcake form. This was also a chance to compare box-mix brownies versus brownies from scratch. And all the crazy internet people were so right; the difference was so obvious.

Before and after baking. 

And decorated! I just used some vanilla icing I had. 
My dad is secretly a really artistic guy so he helped me with the ducks you see as well as the dinosaur on the bottom. 

These were all really well-received and even I couldn't stop eating them. I bought two for myself on the day of. Whatever it takes to help a good cause right?


No comments:

Post a Comment