Monday, October 14, 2013

Travel Throwback: Key Largo, FL

This throwback truly is thrown quite far back. My cousin was married in Key Largo, Florida during the December of 2011. Needless to say, I ate a lot of food
. Also included in this post is a bit about meeting internet friends in the outernet.





Before the wedding, was the sight-seeing, but before the sight-seeing was the plane flight.

Travelling down in the States seems to always lead to McDonalds. Thanks to the Christmas season, Peppermint hot chocolate was in season so I got a cup of that for the plane! It's only about four to five hours to fly down there. 

Asides from that, Florida was just beautiful. 




And now onto the wedding!

Pre-wedding there was a round of hor d'oeuvres making their way around as well as an open bar.

 
 

Bacon wrapped scallops, coconut shrimp, fruit punch, spring rolls with sweet chilli sauce.

Moving onto the dinner:

 
We started with crab cakes with a corn salsa. Nothing too memorable, but it worked considering we were surrounded by the ocean.

The main course is what I call a MAIN COURSE. We had either the choice of chicken, fish, or beef. The fish was mahi mahi, chicken was a breast, but the beef was this AAA steak sent by God himself. Perfectly cooked, I actually consider this the best steak I've ever had. 

Dessert had quite the variety. 

At the table, we were served chocolate covered key-lime pie (very Florida) then afterwards there was a mad spread of cute, miniature desserts and finally, the wedding cake, composed of a cupcake tower and the topper cake.




I wish so much that I went and munched on those macarons. They're so expensive to buy here!! You'll hear more about this when I do a Travel Throwback to Quebec City haha. Macaron pains live on. 

Now for the part about making your internet friends your outernet friends.
(To those unaware, "outnernet" is how I refer to the "real world")

That summer, I met a girl on tumblr who was essentially my exact copy. We had so much in common, our personalities just clicked and we spoke religiously for the months to come. I knew she lived in Florida, but what I didn't know was that she lived about fifteen minutes from the hotel I was staying at on the way home. Clearing up a day, we got to hang out before I flew back home and a lot happened that day. She really changed my life, I think. I feel like that was a defining moment in my life. 

I just wanted to include this because that little stroke of luck really stuck with me even after all these years. 

Oh man, it was so awkward because I was pretty much socially inept back then, but I think I'll always remember that. The internet is full of weirdos you should watch out for, but when you find someone you just have so much in common with, you know it can't be faked. I've never heard of an internet predator who stayed up till the wee hours of the morning writing gay fanfiction for anime with me when they had school the next day. 

En tout cas, à demain mes amis. 









No comments:

Post a Comment