Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Grilled cheese e v e r y t h i n g

It takes about three solid brain cells to realize how much I enjoy grilled cheese.

Whether it's home made on a Tuesday afternoon (or unholy hour of the morning) there was a time where grilled cheese was a staple in my diet. It was also a useful way to use up near-expiration deli meat, cheeses and wilting spinach or spring onions. Nowadays I'm more reserved about the whole carb/sodium deal, but in moderation, grilled cheese is the real gift from God.

Charred lines of Sirracha for a spicy kick.

Ham, cheese, and green onions. Classic.

And one has not truly grilled the cheese until trying some sort of Yelp-proclaimed "over-hyped/over-priced" grilled cheese institution. Regardless, it was nice to see the grilled cheese being even EASIER to acquire.


 

With an adorable ambiance, Kensington Market's THE GRILLED CHEESE has stolen my heart via melted cheese and crunchy bread. There's quite a variety of grilled cheeses to choose from, but I recall ordering The Classic. Each order comes with chips and a pickle. I remember reading old Yelp reviews where they served everything in Styrofoam containers. Good call ditching those. 

Just when you think I'm done, you can't forget about dessert! 


> Toast your bread in the toaster.
>Slice one banana and sauté lightly with a bit of sugar. Set aside.
>Lightly brush butter on one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle with sugar.
>Brown the buttered side of the break until sugar caramalizes. Repeat for the second slice.
>Assemble sandwich by spreading your choice of jam on the non-butter side of one slice and any nut-butter on the other slice.
>Add bananas over the peanut butter and top with the second slice of bread
>Slice in half and enjoy!

I always make grilled cheese with whole wheat, but if you honestly insist it cannot be done with anything asides white, then be my guest. Long live the grilled cheese, my friends. 




No comments:

Post a Comment