Sunday, October 20, 2013

Travel Throwback: Rivière du Loup, QC ( Brulerie de l'Est )

My Travel throwbacks of RDL are going to be in a little series since for five weeks, you tend to eat your way around this little town. Asides from that, I actually have SO many Travel Throwbacks from Québec. I never even realized until I was going through my photos to compost posts again. Anyway, commencez!




This is one of the first little places (besides Maxi) we bought food from! Summer means ice cream and what better ice cream than flavoured soft serve from a cute girl who doesn't know English.

For some further background, I was in Quebec for five weeks this summer on a French immersion program where I was quite literally immersed into the French language in order to learn it better and faster. That was honestly a fantastic experience because what I got out of it was not only the ability to throw some mad French shade, but the people I met and the friendships I formed are truly worth it beyond comprehension.

And now... bienvenue au Brulerie de l'Est!


Located on Rue Lafontaine, RDL, Brulerie de l'Est has provided me with lots of ice cream over those five weeks. There is a coffee shop/bakery located inside, but there is a window where you can order one of the many choices of it's ice cream menu. One of the main features is the large variety of soft serve ice cream.


"24 or more flavours of soft ice cream"
"Amaretto, apricot, banana, butter pecan, peanut, blueberry, espresso, caramel, black cherry, blackberry
maple syrup, lemon
Cream of mint (it's mint), chocolate almond
strawberry, black raspberry, cheesecake, coconut, orange, peach, pina colada, pistachio, rum, "tutti frutti"

Phew! All twenty-four are available daily for no more than three dollars for a small size. The small isn't even small. Depending on the flavour, these can be quite difficult to finish, especially you've gone after a big meal. Don't even let me mention the extra large size. We almost ordered one just to see how large it would actually be. 


A "petit" yeah right that is not small

I've tried peach and chocolate almond which were both alright. I usually have bad luck with making choices anyway. I heard good things about the blackberry, tutti frutti, pina colada, pistachio, and cheesecake. Then again, if it's hot and you want ice cream, Brulerie de l'Est is the place to be. It's only a short walk from la residence where rooms can also be rented out to travelers. 

One day we were feeling rather spontaneous and decided to try something weird on the menu called "poutine sundae". Honestly, I'm not sure what we expected, but the weather was pretty stemy that day so it was good regardless. It's an epic pile of ice cream, caramel popcorn, chocolate wafer cookies, marshmallows (cheese curds) and caramel sauce (gravy). Just something interesting to try especially if you enjoy caramel.


I can't say much about the inside, but I'm almost certain they have free wifi, and isn't that all we ever need?

(Brulerie de l'Est, tu me manques)









1 comment:

  1. OMG! Brulerie de l'Est, tu me manques aussi!!!! :( Et Jocye, tu me manques! I really enjoyed the black raspberry flavor. There isn't anywhere around here to get good ice cream like Brulerie de l'Est!

    ReplyDelete